Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 11:09:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning up of old broods etc?  (Read 1203 times)
acepestdetective
New Bee

« on: June 11, 2007, 04:11:31 PM »

Hi all.

I've kinda inherited some old brood boxes, supers etc that have been stored for around 20-30 years on a dusty old granary.

Just wondering how to go about cleaning them up ready for use as someone suggested using a blowtorch to lightly go over the timber to kill off any existing disease that could be still present. I've also been told to use caustic soda but believe that's more so for sterilising frames in. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Rob.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:22:49 PM »

The only reason to use a blowtorch is to sanitize for disease such as AFB.  If you do that make sure you disassemble the boxes otherwise the spores in the nucks and crannies of the boxes will not be affected.  The spores in the seams and box ends won't be affected by indirect heat--it has to be direct.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Bee1
House Bee

1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 07:32:39 PM »

This cleaning question is interesting. 

I was told the bees would clean the equipement up for themselves. 

All my hive equipement was given to me - The equipment had  been in storage and not used for a number of years - it was dusty, dirty, with signs of old moth damage.  I didn't see anything active so all I did was wipe it off, scrap it out and put it out for the bees.

Do you think it needed more of a cleaning?

Bee1

Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 07:34:20 PM »

If you were confident that it did not contain AFB spores the answer would be no.  No other cleaning would be necessary as the bees will take care of it.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 08:45:29 PM »

Now you have me concerned. I was given a truck load of supers and frames. I just washed the dust off, gave them a paint job, installed some foundation and put some on my hives. I have no idea if they were contaminated with AFB. I did notice that some of the boxes had lots of holes in the wood and some had carved out scoops in the wood.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:01:48 PM »

>Just wondering how to go about cleaning them up ready for use

Personally, I'd just use them unless I had reason to suspect them.

>I did notice that some of the boxes had lots of holes in the wood and some had carved out scoops in the wood.

Those are from wax moths.  Nothing to worry about.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
acepestdetective
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 04:35:50 PM »

Thanks guys.

Michael- Isn't carrying on as normal unless I'm suspicious slightly ostrich like, i.e. burying me head in the sand though? Not being funny but surely with some diseases so rife it's better to be safe than sorry.

Or is you way of thinking because the boxes have been unused for so long possibly? Trouble is I have no need to be suspicious because I have no idea what I'm looking for in terms of disease being contained in boxes etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next