Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 04:02:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally got around to making an ant proof hive stand  (Read 2249 times)
BlevinsBees
House Bee

« on: June 19, 2012, 10:18:42 PM »

After losing two nucs to ants I came up with a solution for those darn Argentine ants that raid hives here in California. I made "T's" with 1" galvanized pipe. At the bottom of the T joint, I slipped on 2" white PVC end caps after drilling holes in them. I hung them upside down on the pipe and filled them with high temp bearing grease that doesn't run in the heat. The rain won't be a factor because they're upside down under hives.

I pounded the pipe legs into the ground 2 feet deep. I secured the 2x6 PT frame to the T joints with plumbing strap. The cross members are resting on the T joints to better handle hive weight. NO MORE ANT PROBLEMS! (Sorry about the finger in the second pic)

President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com
Danpunch
New Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:19:51 AM »

I think I know what I'm doing this weekend  Wink

Thank you for posting the detailed pictures, BlevinsBees!
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:13:13 PM »

On a TBH with 4x4 legs I put a gal ice cream bucket under each leg and filled it with water.  In the summer have to refill bucket about once a week.  I now have hives on a concrete slab, easier to keep ants and other things out.

Joe
Nature Coast Beek
House Bee

Suck it up, buttercup!

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »

Nice stand. Looks like it also makes for good airflow and ventilation, much more streamline than cinder blocks. I too have raging ant issues and like the whole grease idea. This winter will be a build time for me and I certainly have a hive stand on the list. Thanks for the pics.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next