Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 07:54:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bear Fence  (Read 2513 times)
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« on: September 04, 2008, 08:44:06 AM »

I am going to be setting up my bear fence probably next week or two weeks from now at the latest.  I know the hives should be away from the fence enough that a bear can't just reach over and knock them down.  Never seeing a bear before (aside from pictures), can anyone suggest how far the hives should be from the fence?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 09:41:03 AM »

A bear just took out a freinds apiary this past weekend so I to will be setting one of my fences around mine thsi weekend.  I will use at least 3 strands and maybe 4 or 5.  I will set it back 8 - 10 ft not because this much space is needed just because it gives me alot of room to move around.  Wire is cheap so dont skimp.  I will also use my old idea of peanut butter smeared on strips of foil and folded over the wire spaced about every 10 ft down the middle wire.  This works well by making them touch there wet nose to the wire so when they take the jolt it makes them jump back.  If the get there head through the wire and get the jolt on the chest or legs they could bolt forward and knock the fence down
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:15:08 AM »

I'm using electric netting actually.  It's a pretty nice set up that got some good reviews from commercial beeks.  http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=401&cat_id=53

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
1of6
House Bee

Always learning...

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:49:59 AM »

3 or 4 feet back from the fence is good, but farther back is better.

If it helps, here's pictures of mine, maybe you can improve on this:

Home:

Outyard:
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 12:41:06 PM »

What is the area of your outyard?  If I did my math right I will be able to get 1681 square feet out of the roll of net that I got.  That is expandable if needs be, but might require a larger energizer.  Yours looks well groomed.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
jdesq
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 01:31:38 PM »

Question for 1of6- is that battery or solared powered?  What are the costs? I want to move some bees up to northern WI and will definitely need some sort of bear fencing
1of6
House Bee

Always learning...

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »

That yard (wow, I feel bad that I've never really thought about it) might be around 30 feet wide, maybe 25 deep (don't hold me to that though.)  I would like to have made it a little bigger, but I was only planning for six hives, and I was told "Y'ain't cuttin' nunna my bushes!"  A little more room would be good - as you can see from the layout, when I'm at the back of the hives in the front row, the flight path of the hives behind me isn't that far over my head.  Perhaps some sunflowers in a row through the middle would help with that...I now have nine in that yard and they're a little taller.

The home yard is way way way too small, but can't do too much about that yet.  Someday soon.

Tha fence controller (top one) is a Zareba SP3 Solar, maybe an sp3B, can't remember.  It cost $100 at Tractor Supply Co.  You might be able to find a good one, comparable or better, for a better price if you shop around or check out ebay.  I was under the gun on each yard that I did.  The lower controller in that yard is not being used.  I got it from Harbor freights for under $60, but was never real happy with it.  I am happy with the Zareba.

I hope this helps.  Please let us all know if there's more info that we can give.  Good luck and please post some pictures.  I'd like to see photos of other folks' bee yards.
tlynn
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 08:02:20 PM »

I'm using electric netting actually.  It's a pretty nice set up that got some good reviews from commercial beeks.  http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=401&cat_id=53

Looks like the sheep are pretty happy with that fence!  Gosh, no bears to worry about where I am...just neighbors.  All the best to you guys keeping those buggers away.  I saw some pics recently of busted into hives and man they can really do a number on them.
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 10:33:04 PM »

Good looking setup. Down in our neck of the woods it is done with only 3 wires but baited with penut butter.

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 12:23:19 AM »

This is how we protect against bears, I have livestock fencing, along with three strands of electric fencing.  The hives are situated far away enough from the electrified fence to prevent pain to the beekeeper, (now that is another story in itself).  Beautiful, most wonderful and awesome days, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
1of6
House Bee

Always learning...

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 09:36:21 PM »

WOW...talk about 'loaded for bear'... shocked  THAT'S a fence.
Potlicker1
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 07:36:24 PM »

My fence is about 3ft away from the hives. It gives me just enough room to work around them. It's tied into the cattle fence and can be unplugged when I need to get in. I've also incorporated a 3ft garden fence designed to keep rabbits out but works well for skunks. So I've covered the bear and skunk issue in one application. I'm in northcentral Wisconsin and have had bears invade my apiary. With the previous design, no more bear problems. By the way, hanging strips of raw bacon over the fence is quite effective as well.  evil
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 08:25:25 PM »

By the way, hanging strips of raw bacon over the fence is quite effective as well.  evil

Now that would be satisfying to watch!!  We loved watching the horse & goat discover the fence was actually on..small town fun!  Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
blckoakbees
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 01:18:20 AM »

My Bear fence has electric tape and I have four strands.  I used a little larger electric charger that cost me about $200.  I was told it was important to have a high enough charge to give a pretty good shock.  It took me and my husband about two hours to install and the area is approximately16 by 18 feet.  With the tape I an expand it easily.  This has worked to keep out skunks as well as bears for two years now.  We have seen the evidence of bears -tracks, but not actually seen the bears.
1of6
House Bee

Always learning...

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 12:19:15 PM »

By the way, hanging strips of raw bacon over the fence is quite effective as well.  evil

Now that would be satisfying to watch!!  We loved watching the horse & goat discover the fence was actually on..small town fun!  Jody

Rabbits are quite amusing as well.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »

Rabbits are quite amusing as well.

Yes, indeed.  Rabbit plus electric fence equals Wild Hare.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
woodchopper
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 05:11:30 AM »

We bought our electric fence set up at Kencove.com and our hives have been safe ever since. We found bear scat near the fence and several places where visitors in the night have tried to dig under the wires. Fence has stopped them every time.

Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next